Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
firewall/x-wing
I'm experimenting with a homebuilt hardware firewall and I can't seem to find any documentation as to what ports need to be opened in order to host XvT and XWA games... anyone remember what they are?
Rebel parts... Imperial parts... All Made on Tatooine!!!
i have no clue
It's best to watch a furball collapse, analyzing the movements of the enemy. Watch how they maneuver, when they fire, how they break. Visualize your own attacks against those observations, then go in for the kill. Sometimes, though, you don't get that advantage. It's at these times where you go in guns blazing, but keep your head on a swivel.
hehe as this is the problem that I've been dealing with the last year and half I know way more than I wanted to. XvT runs off of a version of DirectX that was made before firewalls really became prevalent. It will use random ports over 1000 and I don't know which few below it. I've tried forwarding all kinds of stuff and came up empty with 3 different firewalls. I don't think software firewalls affect it, just hardware ones. The only way I've found to get around it is to use an external IP addy.

Granted this probably won't help too much and according to the lucasarts page, it can't be done. Also you might try looking for directx infor before version 6 I believe. If you ever find a way to make it work, I would love to know the secret.

Reprah
I decided to contact LucasArts directly on this. They replied with a support article on microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/...0/4/29.ASP

I haven't tried them yet, but it appears this is the info I was looking for.
hmm, ask the great tanker
It's best to watch a furball collapse, analyzing the movements of the enemy. Watch how they maneuver, when they fire, how they break. Visualize your own attacks against those observations, then go in for the kill. Sometimes, though, you don't get that advantage. It's at these times where you go in guns blazing, but keep your head on a swivel.
(02-10-2003, 09:09 PM)Goku1 link Wrote:hmm, ask the great tanker

??? uhm, ask him what? I just posted the info I was originally looking for Tongue
I was thinking the same thing...what would you ask me for??? ???
~§~
Tanker (tangk'er)n. 1. A dusty, crusty, grease-covered, dirty, sweaty, bright eyed, fuzzy faced, haircut-needing, beer-drinking, underrated, over-worked, underpaid, oversexed, little s%#* who can take a Tank and do more battlefield damage in ten minutes than a grunt squad can do all day.
Yeah, I've seen that page before and tried all of that and was unsuccessful for me. Feel free to try it yourself though because I might have done something incorrect during setup. I'm very curious to hear if it works for you. I tried it on a Linksys wireless router among other things with those ports. If it does work for you I would be interested to know what you did. Smile

Reprah
I'm using a home built myself Linux based firewall with a heavily modified kernel. My PC is on a private subnet, therefore I'm using a reverse NAT rule on the firewall with the ports mentioned in the MS article.

I loaded XWA, setup up host game and port scanned my firewall from an outside source and lo and behold I could communicate. Very promising. Now I just need someone to help me test it for real by actually trying to play Smile
I tried a linux firewall over a year ago but it wasn't that modified. We just tried forwarding ports but it was for XvT, not XWA. I don't know if they will use the same ones or not. I also hadn't even heard of a reverse nat rule. Smile That'll be cool if you get it to work but kind of a bummer it takes so much effort.

I only have XvT, not XWA or I would be more than happy to help you test it. If you have XvT though and want to try that, I'm game. I don't normally logon until about 7-8pm mst time.

Reprah
Lieutenant
Jedi Master
Wolf Squadron XO
Master of Disappearing and Reappearing