Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Put away those fancy lightsabers....
.... and brush off the rust from your trusty blaster rifle.

The little man (some may say cannon fodder) is requested to hold ground against enemy waves on numerous battlefields all around the galaxie.

STAR WARS Battlefront is out!

During the last two days my combat gear already took some serious battering.

And here is my first review:

Official Site: http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swbattlefront/index.html

System Requirements: http://support.lucasarts.com/trg/tg.asp?...&x=92&y=11

Price: 44€

Community Site: http://www.swbattlefront.net/

The game is of the first person action shooter type, you can switch over to 3rd person view as well, and simulates the infantry in SW. You are as well able to hop into turrets, vehicles or even starships.

Basicly you can do pretty much everything you want on the battlefield.

The game engine is quite close to the "Battlefield 1942" engine, and if you look at the SW mod "Galactic Conquest" for BF, you will notice Lucas Arts didn't figure out everything on their own.
SW Battlefront even got a singler player mode called Galactic Conquest :Smile

But back to the basics, the game is intented as a multiplayer game, but it has got some single player game modes.

In both modes players are accompanied by AI soldiers.

You can choose from different factions: Alliance, Empire, Droid Army, Clone Army
Each faction has its own special classes and vehicles

And different soldier classes: for example pilot, sniper, anti armor, ...
Each class uses two different weapons, plus special abilitys

The game is intended as a ground combat simulation and that applies for the vehicles as well. Tanks or speeders are decent to steer, but starfighter like the X-Wing lack the proper flight physics, and it is pretty hard to attack ground targets with them.

The game itself is works like this:
Each faction got a number of command posts, soldiers and reinforcements.
When a soldier is killed he can respawn at a posessed command post. But the number of reinforcements decreases.

Command posts can be captured by the opposing faction and then used for their spawns.

The game is over when one team lost all its command posts or all soldiers are killed.

My own opinion:

The game is quite fast and you can't really advance slowly taking cover everywhere, you will most likely be outflanked. But I think it is ok for a Star Wars game. When I recall how Han battled in the Death Star, I think it is more than appropiate.

What I dislike is the time the game takes to load , even if you restart the very same battlefield.

I always waited for a tactical shooter in the Star Wars universe, this game is not 100% what I wanted, but its fun to play, and probably more suitable for Star Wars.

I hope to meet you at the Battlefront Big Grin

~S~

Private Simon

Ooooooooh.. now this sounds good. I've seen the comercials for it. Looks good on the tv.

Unfortunently, i'm limited to XvT at the moment. Ever since I upgraded to XP, i haven't been able to play JKII or JKIII. My video card is to out of date. Need to get a new one, like a ge-force 4 or higher
It's best to watch a furball collapse, analyzing the movements of the enemy. Watch how they maneuver, when they fire, how they break. Visualize your own attacks against those observations, then go in for the kill. Sometimes, though, you don't get that advantage. It's at these times where you go in guns blazing, but keep your head on a swivel.
Invidia GeForce 4 Ti-4400 is good.
~§~
Tanker (tangk'er)n. 1. A dusty, crusty, grease-covered, dirty, sweaty, bright eyed, fuzzy faced, haircut-needing, beer-drinking, underrated, over-worked, underpaid, oversexed, little s%#* who can take a Tank and do more battlefield damage in ten minutes than a grunt squad can do all day.
$

getting my bottom kickedon un real tournament at the moment waiting till some thing happens or comes up always waiting to hear and go kick some impy's just give us a holler and i will be there what ever the condition of my ship

RBL_Wolf skull
Battlefront, only one question, which game is it more like, Counter Strike, Halo, or Command & Conquere Renegade, or WWII Online Blitzkreig?

Just wondering. Smile

☼§☼
Man53 OuT!
☼§☼
Ok brother Simon beat me to this one lol *shoots his trusty trout cannon at simons quaters...... Smile ) Basically what Simon said is accurate, I just wanna add a little bit to what he has said. I disagree with that "takes to long to load" comment. Picked up the xbox version for myself and it loads quicker than you can blink. The action is smooth and the animations are pretty tight. You do actually have to think a little bit to outwit your enemies. Rambo style game play will get you killed pretty quickly. My one complaint is this: I was mowing down stormies when all of the sudden one was actually smart enough to toss a grenade at me.................(yes I was playing single player) And the stormies are deadly accurate with the rifle. This game is a lot of fun for those of us that like picking up the controller and blowing stuff up. Lots of action, lots of sound, and lots of explosions.

Plus Side: pretty solid tac shooter effort in my opinion. outsmarting your opponent is a way to victory (not only way, but it counts for something). And I've been very addicted to the gameplay. The xbox version does sport the best performance.

Down Side: Vehicles are very tough to control. The droideka is a royal pain in the arse. PS2 and PC versions suffer from long load times and both have frame rate issues. PS2 version also has an issue where it has to load the rest of a battle roughly halfway through.
There is no emotion:  There is peace.  There is no ignorance, there is knownledge.  There is no passion, there is serenity.    There is no chaos, there is harmony.   There is no death, there is only the force-jedi code
I have to readjust me comment on starship control a bit.

In one mission you have to dogfight over Cloud City, X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter just like the old days, some bricks and Ys too.

Its really fun. Even though the imperial anti aircraft guns are hard to dodge.

So I rather say the fun involved depends on the mission. Ground attack is bad, Dogfight is good ;D

Simon u got a download available??? Wink :o :-*
Ancient weapons n hokie religions kid.......every lil bit helps!
$

If any one as a downloadable or knows of one i wouldnt mind checking out and getting back in to doing some active in here gets kind of lonely here in space with just your r2 unit for company any suggestions would be help thanks

Wolf_skull

Aka Foxy
There might be the possibility to put it onto my private home based web server....

Hang on folks.