Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WANTED!!!!! :)
Starting next week (especially if wow for xvt is slow) I'll be looking for a sparring partner or two in Mech Warrior 4 Vengeance/Black Knight. After seeing people's lists on the games thread, I see that alot of our people have at least Vengeance. No prior online experience in this game is required. I just miss playing it online now that the competitive clan I was in has moved on to MW4: Mercs. Just one quick tip for those that have never played it online, stock mechs get you killed quickly lol! I'm no expert, but if people need help setting up mech variants I have a few designs that have worked well for me.

*S*

Ace
There is no emotion:  There is peace.  There is no ignorance, there is knownledge.  There is no passion, there is serenity.    There is no chaos, there is harmony.   There is no death, there is only the force-jedi code
I can try, though the last time I tried to install and play it it wouldn't work. Very annoying.
~§~
Tanker (tangk'er)n. 1. A dusty, crusty, grease-covered, dirty, sweaty, bright eyed, fuzzy faced, haircut-needing, beer-drinking, underrated, over-worked, underpaid, oversexed, little s%#* who can take a Tank and do more battlefield damage in ten minutes than a grunt squad can do all day.
Ohhhh yeah lol, should probably add that all of my gaming names are RBL_Acehigh. There's still a room on the zone for vengeance or we could use the zone match server that you can connect to in the game itself. Only prob there, you have to tell people to join ya there way in advance, and others often jump into your game. And just want to lay down one rule, don't shoot the legs out of the mechs. Most people configure their mechs to have the most armor around the weapons and leave the legs vulnerable. I was playing with some jerks tonight that kept shooting the legs cause they knew of this trend, that can get frustrating very quickly. Once in a while they will get hit by chance, just plz don't aim for them Smile
There is no emotion:  There is peace.  There is no ignorance, there is knownledge.  There is no passion, there is serenity.    There is no chaos, there is harmony.   There is no death, there is only the force-jedi code
I am going for another million in my dying addiction XvT anyone is welcome to join me as for mechs hmmmm I have a mechgame somewhere but man its hiding!!
Wouldn'tcha know that my frikin card doesn't work with this game either now? geesh.....
It's best to watch a furball collapse, analyzing the movements of the enemy. Watch how they maneuver, when they fire, how they break. Visualize your own attacks against those observations, then go in for the kill. Sometimes, though, you don't get that advantage. It's at these times where you go in guns blazing, but keep your head on a swivel.
Well I now have Mech Warrior/Mercenaries........did some lookin checkin and hangin and it seemed to be the way most have gone and I was spending bucks so I went that way. I think I can get the vengance from Scarecrow, I know he had one on his FTP. I got the trial for it but it has no online ability, (if so plz let me know)
I have only been playin offline tryin ta learns somin, LOL well I learnin fast how to over heat........
Anyway it looks cool and any help from Vengeance I am sure will carry rite over.
So if I can find a DL or find a cheap Copy of it I will take ya up on that Ace Wink
Veng has less system requirements and would allow more folks to get in...
While I'm thinkin bout it Murdock plays Mech just dunno which one now :'( may shoot him an email or better yet ya hairball POST hehehe.
Oh...Footnote: I also got the JetFighterV Snoop mentioned. Looks way cool, only no multiplayer yet (free download at future date) still it looked to good not to try and will fit in with my other flight sims doh wrong post aye

Anyway I's look for ya on the zone hope we can hook somin up...

Az

Ancient weapons n hokie religions kid.......every lil bit helps!
Hey Azis great to hear that bro! Smile I've been hoping to find some other mechers round here heheheheeh. Let me know if Mercs is kewl. Once I get a new comp I'm planning to get that game. Don't know if I can find it in the stores, might have to order right from microsoft. But I plan to get that one soon. I've been playing the campaign on black knight to get me rust off hehehe.

Here are some helpful tips, especially for online play. Remember I'm no expert by any means, but I did used to play in a pretty competitive clan for one of the millions of mech leagues out there. (which believe it or not the mech league rules are more confusing than all of BSC's rules combined)

1. Keep it simple. Decide whether you want to be a sniper or a brawler. The weapons are set up mostly for these two extreme kinds of fighting. Mixing weapons doesn't work that well (as far as distance) because you could end up running out of ballistic ammo two quickly.

2. There's no way around this one, if you want maximum tonnage for weapons and armor your gonna have to kill all your speed. This means hitting the down arrow by the engines. Take it down all the way on every mech you make. If you have tonnage left after you have selected armor and weapons they can always be added.

3. Never Never Never use ferro fibrous armor. The comp sets all the stock mechs up this way and it just sux. You get killed very quickly. Armor is broken down into another two categories that work much better. Reflective armor is great to use against beam weapons (anything red in the mech lab) Reactive armor works the best against ballistics (yellow in the mech lab). You'll last alot longer with either of these types than with fibrous. On a bad note, if your fighting someone that ussues mostly warheads (green) your pretty much screwed. Personally I don't use missles that often as they are hard to aim ect, but some people swear by them, and they are really tough to stay away from.

4. Make sure your weapons are balanced. Sounds like common sense, but it's a lesson alot of new people learn the hard way. If your sniping keep all weapons around 700 yards and up. If your brawling, keep all weapons under 600 yards.

5. *****Before picking your weapons...maybe this should have been 4 lol*********** Select reactive or reflective armor. Then look at the weapons areas on your mech. Max out only those areas where you plan to put weapons. Then max out the center torso cause thats where your engine is. Finally max out the head because that is the cock pit. Everything else is up to you. Although for splash damage ect I keep the legs are a minimum of 50%

6. Get used to using the "sniper scope"/ zoom view. This will enlarge enemies in your sights making them easier to hit at long range. It looks a little weird at first, but once you get used to it you can pinpoint what part of an enemy you wish to attack.

7. Jump Jets I'm feeling mixed about. They do provide an element of surprise and if your shooting down on someone it's easy to hit them. But if your fighting a good sniper your a sitting duck while your in the air. Personally I think they are a waste of tonnage, but that is just my personal opinion.

8. Probably the most important part of being a mech warrior. Heat sinks are there for a reason.......use them. If you overheat you aren't going to much good in an extended fight. The hotter the enviornment, the hotter your mech will get. Learn to control your fire so you don't over heat and use your coolant when necessary. Only bad thing, once the coolant runs out it's gone till you reload or die lol.
Thx Ace that definatley gives me some food for thot and will see if I cant apply some of ya info......
I can only speak from the trial versions, but the main thing I notice from Veng to Merc, is the graphics and over all feel of the game. Mercs is definately better in that regard, kinda like comparing XvT to XWA, although the sys requirements are almost double for mercs as well...
Anywho I will keep ploddin along in the offline missions and campaign, (see if I can get off recruit level :o)

Az
Ancient weapons n hokie religions kid.......every lil bit helps!
sorry that post was so long guys, but setting up mechs is the toughest part of the game. pulling the trigger is relatively easy after that lol. you can reconfigure your mechs for the campaign mode too. I wouldn't have gotten through vengeance and black knight without doing this. the stock mechs just suck lol. one thing about the campaign, use your lance mates. they can help if deployed properly.
hey, Ace, now that i've got two joysticks, is there anyway that i can employ both at the same time in controlling my mech?
It's best to watch a furball collapse, analyzing the movements of the enemy. Watch how they maneuver, when they fire, how they break. Visualize your own attacks against those observations, then go in for the kill. Sometimes, though, you don't get that advantage. It's at these times where you go in guns blazing, but keep your head on a swivel.