Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
calling all techies, calling all techies
am having a comp issues/emergency.  lately my system has been crashing alot.  when it crashes I get the following message  IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL  and that error is posted on a blue screen.  text says if it's the first time I've seen this error to reboot but if I've seen it multiple times to disable BIOS caching and or shadowing.....................

first off I'm not sure what that even means.  *not the most gifted with this kinda stuff, basically I can run programs and surf lol*

am wondering what needs to happen to correct this error.  I have an opinion from tank that is leading towards a possible ram failure...............but am curious to get some second opinions *hopefully with solutions*

ace out
There is no emotion:  There is peace.  There is no ignorance, there is knownledge.  There is no passion, there is serenity.    There is no chaos, there is harmony.   There is no death, there is only the force-jedi code
woah, that just happened to me a couple of mins. ago i was trying to test my internet's speed then the blue screen popped up.
hobovu what you experienced was probably different. However

"HAHAH! - The Blue Screen of Death! is victorious again!"

It never fails. Try opening your system, grounding yourself (electricity is the devil!) and removing and reinserting your RAM cards, if its RAM failure, it COULD be that one of your sticks is loose.
It could also be an IRQL issue, hence the "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" what follows that message? it typically says something like "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL with NDIS.SYS" or something of that sort, let me know.

I looked around and found that Norton can also cause this issue, but I've gotten no confirmation on that, as its almost 2:00AM and I'm too lazy to check symantec at this moment.

Also check your graphics card drivers, and make sure they're up to date with your Windows version.

Check these too.
http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread.cfm/...qid/308429

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx

Hope this helps. If not, I'll do a slight bit further looking-into, but google search for "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" revealed that this, like 99.999% of all other computer errors is a common one.

-Man53
Do not under estimate the power of the dark side!
well, i don't think its going to happen again...... i know my drivers are up to date, i just updated them today, my ram is securely atached to my case. Anyways i only got the screen once, soo i think i did something right ( well it only happened once..)
everything should be up to date with me too.  but I'll have to double check the drivers........although this system will be 2 at christmas and I've never had an issue until now.  the message that followed the irql thing said "if this is the first time you've seen this message please reboot.  if this is not disable bios caching or shadowing."  when I get some free time this weekend I'll check the connections on the inside.  pretty sure everything should be secure as I don't ever move anything around. 

thanks for the help man, appreciate it.  will let ya know what I find.

ace
There is no emotion:  There is peace.  There is no ignorance, there is knownledge.  There is no passion, there is serenity.    There is no chaos, there is harmony.   There is no death, there is only the force-jedi code
Hm... I remember having this problem a while back on one of my computers. Some nagging thought in the back of my head is saying MEMORY! but I will look into it.

Edit: Speak of the devil, I remember what was causing it for me was the CPU overheating. It could be because of the fact that it is 2 years old the fan could be kaput.  What you should do is run it until you get that error, when you get it reboot quickly, go into the BIOS and check the CPU temperature. If its not overheating then it could in fact be "bad RAM"
liquid cooling, ftw.
It's best to watch a furball collapse, analyzing the movements of the enemy. Watch how they maneuver, when they fire, how they break. Visualize your own attacks against those observations, then go in for the kill. Sometimes, though, you don't get that advantage. It's at these times where you go in guns blazing, but keep your head on a swivel.
im too lazy to change the tubes for liquid cooling  Tongue
(10-29-2007, 02:48 PM)Dark link Wrote: Hm... I remember having this problem a while back on one of my computers. Some nagging thought in the back of my head is saying MEMORY! but I will look into it.

Edit: Speak of the devil, I remember what was causing it for me was the CPU overheating. It could be because of the fact that it is 2 years old the fan could be kaput.  What you should do is run it until you get that error, when you get it reboot quickly, go into the BIOS and check the CPU temperature. If its not overheating then it could in fact be "bad RAM"

In such case, you just need to learn better disciplinary skills. "Bad RAM, Bad! Down boy!" /TroutSmack....
Smile
Do not under estimate the power of the dark side!
(10-30-2007, 08:13 AM)Man53 link Wrote: In such case, you just need to learn better disciplinary skills. "Bad RAM, Bad! Down boy!" /TroutSmack....
Smile

Problem with that is trouty really likes to eat chips (I'd like to know who started feeding him chips) and doesn't really care what type of chips he eats. Last night I was trying to re-solder something and he jmped out of his tank and started eating the chips!!