Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Beast of a machine!
This be my new rig.  ;D

Case:
Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS Black Full Tower Case w/ 25CM Fan – Retail
CPU:
Intel:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
Motherboard:
ASUS Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX The Ultimate Gaming Motherboard – Retail
Memory:
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
Video Card:
EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
DVD-ROM Burner with MAGIC SPEED:
SAMSUNG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner With LightScribe Technology - OEM
DVD-ROM:
SONY Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s – OEM
Power Supply:
Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, FCC, TUV, CE, C-tick, CCC, CB - Retail
Hard Drive:
Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
CPU Cooling:
Thermaltake CL-P0257 Blue orb II CPU Cooler for LGA775 & K8 - Retail

Costs:
Case: $174.99
CPU: $314.00
Motherboard: $399.99
Memory: $299.99
Video Card: $389.99
DVD-ROM Burner: $33.99
DVD-ROM: $18.99
Power Supply: $109.99
Hard Drive: $159.99
CPU Cooling: $33.99
Total: $1935.91

Off to go put it together now!  Woot! ;D  Shall hopefully be online tonight using it.  ;D
~§~
Tanker (tangk'er)n. 1. A dusty, crusty, grease-covered, dirty, sweaty, bright eyed, fuzzy faced, haircut-needing, beer-drinking, underrated, over-worked, underpaid, oversexed, little s%#* who can take a Tank and do more battlefield damage in ten minutes than a grunt squad can do all day.
awesome
Do not under estimate the power of the dark side!
What I'm logged in to right now:

8 physical cpu's dual core AMD 64 bit 2.4Ghz
132 GB RAM
dual 1GB network cards
dual QLogic Fiber cards for SAN connected storage
ATI Rage XL
12TB of fiber SCSI RAID 1+0 on a EMC storage array

;D

OK so it's not a gaming machine, and I don't own it... but wouldn't it be neat to throw a gaming OS and a better vid card on it just once to see what it's like?
Rebel parts... Imperial parts... All Made on Tatooine!!!
*Drools*
Beware my dark side......oh! Hi Dark.
.........i envy your tank  :o mine is:

2.7GHz intel celeron
760MB ram
80GB hard drive
and the rest is pretty much junk  :'(
Well it's put together (several folks saw it and have decreed that it is to be called....the Darth Vader.  Or Death Star...either one ;D ) but it's not quite working.  So it's troubleshooting time, see what might not have been connected properly and all that. 
~§~
Tanker (tangk'er)n. 1. A dusty, crusty, grease-covered, dirty, sweaty, bright eyed, fuzzy faced, haircut-needing, beer-drinking, underrated, over-worked, underpaid, oversexed, little s%#* who can take a Tank and do more battlefield damage in ten minutes than a grunt squad can do all day.

Congratz Tanker!!!

Did you Newegg?
RBL-Wild§lash

Hawk Squadron
I did indeed go through Newegg.  Nice service overall.  It's like Amazon for computer geeks.  Gotta love it. Big Grin

And the Beast lives!  Found out what was wrong; seems we missed a breaker because it was hidden underneath the big blue CPU heatsink.  Go figure. 

All that's left is to give it smrts and it will be set. ;D
~§~
Giving is smarts takes many hours....something I'd forgotten about lol.  Still working out some kinks (such as why the audio didn't seem to work still...), but for the most part it runs like a dream.  Quieter than my old rig....that or I just can't tell over the old one when they're running at the same time lol. 

I'll have pictures soon.   ;D  Then I'd just have to find some 'test' programs for it.  >Big Grin

Edit:  Forgot to mention that it's been named.  It is called...the Death Vader.

I was going to teasingly call it the Death Star, but everyone who saw it said it should be Darth Vader.  Well...what can be more ominous than to call it the Death Vader?  It destroys planets with it's Force powered superlaser....after it Force Choked every living thing on the world from a distance.
~§~
And now for some pics...

We have here the cavernous shell that is the body of Death Vader; the giant tower stands....well, I'm sitting down and it's taller by a few inches than my bent legs. 

[Image: Phase1.jpg]

Next is the motherboard, CPU, and fancy blue colored and lighted CPU heatsink and fan.  Heavy thing, especially once the CPU heatsink was put on.

[Image: Phase2.jpg]

Here the mobo combo is being tinkered with by my buddy, who did quite a bit of the work but certainly helped me learn quite a bit.

[Image: Phase3.jpg]

Here is with the mobo, video card, audio, and power supply installed.  All that was needed at this point was to attach another fan (at the top), install the hard drive, and the two disk drives, and then connect all the cables. 

[Image: Phase4.jpg]

And this is a fuzzy, badly taken picture of the end result.  Death Vader, standing happily beside me, and finally almost completely updated with drivers and other fun stuff. 

[Image: FinalPhase.jpg]

Big fan in the middle there isn't it?
~§~