Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billy may have a point
Been seein the ads for this special of "How William Shatner Changed the World" all week on all channels...sure looks to be entertaining Smile

http://www.discoverychannel.ca/on_tv/how...tner_home/

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/archives/how...world.html
Ancient weapons n hokie religions kid.......every lil bit helps!
Saw bits and pieces of the show when it was originally shown here in Canada.  While entertaining, it doesn't really point out anything new.  It's been stated for years that the show inspired alot of kids to become engineers and direction for scientific advancement.  Personally, I don't think Star trek can take ALL the credit for it, but it certainly helped.  If you think back(those of you who were around at that time), the idea of hand held, CORDLESS communication devices was pie-in-the-sky fantasy(today's cell phones, of course), but I'd say the old "Get Smart" TV show was actually the 1st to use such a device(remember the shoe phone?).

One of my favorite 'Trek' inspired inventions was the automatic door opener.  I remember as a youth walking through 1 for the 1st time and stoping in amazement for a split second, then thinking "Hey, wait a minute, where's the squeek??". Tongue

The 1 thing they REALLY were off on in their conception of the series(aside from the functionality of the female uniforms  Wink) was the size and appearance of computers and like equipment.  But if you consider how BIG and primitive computers were back then in real life, it isn't surprising.  I bet it had more than 1 person having sleepless nights trying to figure out how to present a more PRIMITIVE version of them for the 'Enterprise' series and still have it look realistic.
Beware my dark side......oh! Hi Dark.