Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Put away those fancy lightsabers....
.... and brush off the rust from your trusty blaster rifle.

The little man (some may say cannon fodder) is requested to hold ground against enemy waves on numerous battlefields all around the galaxie.

STAR WARS Battlefront is out!

During the last two days my combat gear already took some serious battering.

And here is my first review:

Official Site: http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swbattlefront/index.html

System Requirements: http://support.lucasarts.com/trg/tg.asp?...&x=92&y=11

Price: 44€

Community Site: http://www.swbattlefront.net/

The game is of the first person action shooter type, you can switch over to 3rd person view as well, and simulates the infantry in SW. You are as well able to hop into turrets, vehicles or even starships.

Basicly you can do pretty much everything you want on the battlefield.

The game engine is quite close to the "Battlefield 1942" engine, and if you look at the SW mod "Galactic Conquest" for BF, you will notice Lucas Arts didn't figure out everything on their own.
SW Battlefront even got a singler player mode called Galactic Conquest :Smile

But back to the basics, the game is intented as a multiplayer game, but it has got some single player game modes.

In both modes players are accompanied by AI soldiers.

You can choose from different factions: Alliance, Empire, Droid Army, Clone Army
Each faction has its own special classes and vehicles

And different soldier classes: for example pilot, sniper, anti armor, ...
Each class uses two different weapons, plus special abilitys

The game is intended as a ground combat simulation and that applies for the vehicles as well. Tanks or speeders are decent to steer, but starfighter like the X-Wing lack the proper flight physics, and it is pretty hard to attack ground targets with them.

The game itself is works like this:
Each faction got a number of command posts, soldiers and reinforcements.
When a soldier is killed he can respawn at a posessed command post. But the number of reinforcements decreases.

Command posts can be captured by the opposing faction and then used for their spawns.

The game is over when one team lost all its command posts or all soldiers are killed.

My own opinion:

The game is quite fast and you can't really advance slowly taking cover everywhere, you will most likely be outflanked. But I think it is ok for a Star Wars game. When I recall how Han battled in the Death Star, I think it is more than appropiate.

What I dislike is the time the game takes to load , even if you restart the very same battlefield.

I always waited for a tactical shooter in the Star Wars universe, this game is not 100% what I wanted, but its fun to play, and probably more suitable for Star Wars.

I hope to meet you at the Battlefront Big Grin

~S~

Private Simon

Messages In This Thread
Put away those fancy lightsabers.... - by Simon - 09-28-2004, 02:37 AM
Re:Put away those fancy lightsabers.... - by RBL_Wolk_Skull - 09-29-2004, 06:48 PM
Re:Put away those fancy lightsabers.... - by Man53 - 09-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Re:Put away those fancy lightsabers.... - by Azis - 10-01-2004, 09:57 AM
Re:Put away those fancy lightsabers.... - by RBL_Wolk_Skull - 10-01-2004, 04:19 PM
Re:Put away those fancy lightsabers.... - by Azis - 10-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Re:Put away those fancy lightsabers.... - by Azis - 10-14-2004, 10:45 AM